The Salem Police Department has stringent requirements which must be met by every applicant to ensure the selection of only the most qualified individual. We are committed to Equal Opportunity Employment throughout the recruitment and selection process. To accomplish this goal, the comprehensive selection process requires applicants to meet the basic qualifications and to successfully complete the following:
- City of Salem Employment Application
- DMV and Criminal History Check
- Police Officer Entrance Examination
- Physical agility
- Review Panel
- Chief's Interview
- Background Investigation
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- Medical / Psychological Evaluation
- Upon appointment, you must attend and successfully complete the basic law enforcement academy that is held at the Cardinal Criminal Justice Academy. You must also successfully complete a Field Training Program at the Salem Police Department.
- You will be required to sign a contractual agreement that you will not smoke or use any tobacco products while employed with the Salem Police Department.
- You will be required to sign a contractual agreement that you will remain with the Salem Police Department for two years after completion of field training.
- You will serve a one-year probationary period.
Questions concerning the selection process or requirements should be directed to the Recruitment Manager at 540-375-3083.