While the City of Salem’s personal property tax rate for 2022 has not changed, the COVID-19 pandemic significantly impacted the valuation of personal vehicles due to the resulting supply chain issues and overall lack of new vehicle inventory. In recognition of this unique and unprecedented average increase in valuation, Salem City Council wanted to assist citizens by providing a one-time partial refunding of personal property taxes paid on vehicles eligible for and that received relief from the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Personal Property Tax Relief Act of 1998 (PPTRA) for the 2022 tax year.
At the July 25 Council meeting, members voted unanimously to pass an ordinance to return a portion of personal property taxes that have been paid for 2022 to residents. The ordinance will go into effect once Council votes on the second reading of the ordinance. That is expected to take place the next time members convene.
The refund processing is set to begin the second week of September and culminate by the end of the month.
Here are the conditions of the ordinance.
- The return is applicable to vehicles assessed and billed by June 30, 2022 for the 2022 tax year
- The return is applicable to only vehicles eligible for and that received relief from the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Personal Property Tax Relief Act of 1998 (PPTRA) for the 2022 tax year.
- The return will equal 19.5% of the tax year 2022 assessed tax less the relief amount provided by the PPTRA.
- The return will only be provided for tax year 2022 on vehicles which taxes and any applicable fees, penalties, or interest have been paid in full by the date of August 31, 2022 for each account.
- No amount of less than five dollars for the aggregate of vehicles on a single account will be returned unless specifically requested by the taxpayer.
- Vehicles receiving the refund that are sold or otherwise transferred out of the City during 2022 would be refunded in accordance with Virginia Code § 58.1-3516. Any prorated refund amount would be less the prorated amount of surplus personal property tax returne