1. How Do I?
  2. Business
  3. Government
  4. Residents
  5. Departments
    1. Animal Shelter
    2. Commissioner of the Revenue
    3. Commonwealth Attorney
    4. Communications Office
    5. Community Development
    6. Economic Development
    7. Electric
    8. Finance
    9. Human Resources
    10. Parks and Recreation
    11. Police
    12. Real Estate
    13. Registrar's Office
    14. Rescue Squad
    15. Salem Fire-EMS
    16. Salem Public Library
    17. Sheriff's Office
    18. Street & General Maintenance
    19. Technology Systems
    20. Treasurer's Office
    21. Water & Sewer Dept
  6. Tourism
  7. Downtown
  8. Report a Problem
PHONE:  (540) 375-4112   |  ADDRESS:  City Hall, 114 North Broad Street, Salem, VA 24153

News in Salem

Published on Monday, December 21, 2020

Need Help with Utility Bills Payment?

Are you behind on your utility bill payments due to the pandemic? If so, you may qualify for assistance.

The City of Salem has announced that it is using funds acquired from the Municipal Utility Relief Program to aid citizens who are struggling to pay electric, water and sewer bills.

The city requested and received $221,083 from the federal government’s CARES ACT funding to create the program. Any resident or business owner facing past-due utility bills from March 1 through December 30, 2020, due to COVID-19, is eligible to apply for assistance. Funds will be awarded on a first come, first served basis.

“The window to apply for these funds is tight, so we hope citizens will share this information with anyone who may be able to qualify,” says Rosie Jordan, Salem Finance Director. “We are fortunate to receive this amount of money and we now want our residents who have been adversely affected by COVID-19 to benefit from it.”

Applications forms can be downloaded and printed from the city’s website at or picked-up at the Utility Collections Office on the ground floor of City Hall, 114 N. Broad St. All forms must be filled-out completely and returned no later than January 20, 2021. They can be submitted in person or via email at

Interested applicants seeking more information can call 375-3021. Here is the application LINK

Theme picker