1st Payment Due by Dec. 5
2nd Payment Due by June 5
Due May 31
Due March 1
Dog & Cat Licenses
Due January 31
Brief History of the office of Treasurer
The Office of the Treasurer was established in 1869 by the Constitution of Virginia. The Treasurer is an elected official and serves a term of four years. Responsibilities and duties encompass all activities related to the receipt and collection of revenue, the safekeeping and investment of revenue, and an accurate accounting for and the disbursement of revenue.
Salem Treasurer's Office
It is our goal to provide an efficient and professional approach in serving the citizens of Salem, while maintaining an attitude of respect and understanding. You will receive prompt and courteous information and assistance. We are committed to strive for excellence.
Bonnie C. McCormack : firstname.lastname@example.org
Shatonna R. Stores : email@example.com
Chief Deputy Treasurer
Tina M. Morris : firstname.lastname@example.org
Ria A. Palmer : email@example.com
Danielle S. Stores : firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsibilities & Duties
The legal authority for the Treasurer's duties and responsibilities is governed by the Constitution of Virginia, the Code of Virginia, Local Ordinances and charter provisions, case law, court decisions and opinions of the Attorney General.
Collection Duties include:
- Billing and collection of current real estate and personal property taxes - Real estate taxes are billed in two halves. Current personal property taxes billed annually.
- Business Licenses
- Dog/Cat Tags
- Food and Beverage (Meals)
- Transient Occupancy (Lodging)
- The Billing and collection of Delinquent Real Estate and Personal Property taxes. Delinquent billings are prepared and mailed twice a year.
- Pursuit of all other delinquent debt owed to the City of Salem.
- State Income Tax
This office is audited each year by both an outside auditing firm for the City and by the Auditor of Public Accounts for the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Treasurer's Office continues to maintain an average collection rate of better than 98 percent on delinquent taxes.