The Salem hazardous materials team was started 1987. The team currently consist of 41 personnel, with Station 3 serving as a base for HazMat equipment. HazMat1, our tractor trailer equipped with response gear and tools, is housed at Station 1.
The Salem team partnered with Roanoke City to become the Roanoke Valley Regional Hazmat Team – contracted by the Commonwealth of Virginia. The team's response area consist of 19 localities as part of the Division 6 team for Virginia. There are a total of 13 regional teams in Virginia.
Team personnel undergo many hours of specialized training to obtain and then maintain their certification for hazmat responses:
- Operations level - 32 hours
- Technician level - 80 hours
- Chemistry - 80 hours
- Advance Technical Control - 80 hours
- Tactical Command and Safety, Planning & Management - 40 hours
- Annual re-certification training - 24 hours min.
Salem Fire-EMS for more photos.