The Comcast Customer Service Center located at 1320 W. Main St. in Salem closed on May 17. Some Salem residents have asked if this closing was in violation of the Franchise Agreement the City entered into with Comcast in September of 2013.
The answer to is no, the closing is not a violation of the contract. In that 10-year agreement, Comcast agreed to keep a physical office in Salem for no less than two years. The office remained open from September 2013 until May 17, 2019. Please note that this situation is not unique to Salem. In December of last year, Comcast closed its Staunton office, and those Augusta County customers now need to travel to Harrisonburg, if they need assistance in person.
In a note to Interim Salem City Manager, Jay Taliaferro, before the closing, Comcast outlined its reasons for shutting-down the Salem Payment Center and offered a number of options for current customers.
Based on direct feedback from our customers, we have created many new service options, including self-install kits, online account management options, electronic payments, the ability to order equipment through the mail and drop-off equipment at The UPS Store locations. As a result of these new service options, customer use of the Salem service center has been declining.
Effective May 17, 2019 Comcast’s Payment Center located at 1320 W Main St, Salem, VA 24153 will close. Customers will be notified of this change via a bill message and signage at the office.
Comcast customers may continue to make payments at the following locations:
• The Comcast Customer Service Center located at 1415 S Main St, Blacksburg, VA 24060
• Any Western Union location - [Kroger, Walgreens, Walmart and Food Lion]
Other payment options include:
• Xfinity My Account App – allowing customers to manage and make changes to their account anywhere, anytime from their smartphone or tablet
• Automatic Recurring Payment – allowing customers to have their charges for Comcast services automatically deducted from a bank account or paid with a credit card each month
• Electronic payment services – allowing customers to make payments through a Customer Account Executive, Interactive Voice • Response, or over the Internet quickly, conveniently, and securely
• Pay by mail using the pre-addressed return envelope included in customer statements
Finally, customers may now return their equipment at The UPS Store locations. Customers may also use UPS Drop Box locations but must first request shipping materials from Comcast. The local UPS Stores are located at:
• 1329 W Main St, Salem, VA 24153
• 2018 Electric Rd, Roanoke, VA 24018
In addition, customers may call 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489) 24 hours a day and 7 days a week to resolve service issues, to subscribe to or cancel services, or to upgrade or downgrade the level of service they receive.