1. How Do I?
  2. Business
  3. Government
  4. Residents
  5. Departments
    1. Animal Shelter
    2. Commissioner of the Revenue
    3. Commonwealth Attorney
    4. Communications Office
    5. Community Development
    6. Economic Development
    7. Electric
    8. Finance
    9. Human Resources
    10. Parks and Recreation
    11. Police
    12. Real Estate
    13. Registrar's Office
    14. Rescue Squad
    15. Salem Fire-EMS
    16. Salem Public Library
    17. Sheriff's Office
    18. Street & General Maintenance
    19. Technology Systems
    20. Treasurer's Office
    21. Water & Sewer Dept
  6. Tourism
  7. Downtown
  8. Report a Problem
TO HOOK UP YOUR UTILITIES:  (540) 375-3021|HOURS:  M-F 8am-5pm
E-MAIL:|LOCATION:  City Hall, 114 North Broad Street, Salem, VA 24153

Obtain Electrical Service

TO HOOK UP YOUR UTILITIES:  (540) 375-3021|HOURS:  M-F 8am-5pm
E-MAIL:|LOCATION:  City Hall, 114 North Broad Street, Salem, VA 24153


Obtain electrical permit - Building Inspector's Office, 21 S. Bruffey Street.

To set up new service - Consult Utility Collections Office, Ground Floor, 114 North Broad Street.

Electrician or others performing electrical work shall obtain meter location from Service & AMI Coordinator, 730 West Main Street, for all temporary or permanent meters and change of service.

To obtain a meter socket or meter cabinet, party shall present electrical permit at the Electric Operations Office, 730 W. Main Street.

Customers desiring underground electric service shall obtain routing information (pole to building; pad mounted transformer to building; service pedestal to building) in addition to meter location from Service & AMI Coordinator. Alternatives, underground or overhead may be suggested.

Before residential underground electric service is installed, customer shall have meter socket mounted on building and conduit installed in an open ditch (36" min. depth) from within meter socket (install bushing and slip meter riser) to approved source of power (pole, pad mounted transformer, or service pedestal). Conduit must have a pull string installed, and must be inspected by the Electric Department prior to customer backfilling ditch. For 100 to 200 amp services, use 2" PVC conduit. Use 3" for 300 amp, and 4" for 400 amp. Not more than the equivalent of 3 90's will be permitted. If conduit is in a damaged or obstructed condition at the time of service wire installation, the customer is responsible for all necessary repairs and/or replacement. For more details, see drawing of typical residential underground service installation.

For commercial underground service installations, contact the Electric Department for specifications.

Under no circumstances will electricity, either temporary or permanent, be turned on until inspected by the Electrical Inspector.

Commercial Customers- In addition to the above procedures, provide connected load data and anticipated demand to the Electric Department, 730 West Main Street.

Office Telephone No
Building Inspector (540) 375-3036
Utility Collections (540) 375-3021
Electric Department (540) 375-3030