PERMITS ARE ISSUED ONLY BETWEEN 8:00 a.m. AND 4:00 p.m.
NOTE: Contractors must have a valid business license in order to obtain a permit. Please visit the City of Salem Commissioner of the Revenue site for business license requirements or call (540) 375-3019.
Required items when applying for a building permit
What is the correct way to display a building permit at the site?
The Office of Building Inspections and Zoning issues the following permits:
- Addition or Alteration to Residence
- Addition or Alteration to Commercial Building
- Change of Service
- In-ground Swimming Pool
- Addition or Replacement of Fixtures
- Water/Sewer Line Replacements
- Elevator Permit
- Replacement of HVAC System
- Gas Lines
- Boiler Installation
- Fire Suppression
- Gas Furnace (New Installation or Replacement)
- Temporary Signs - A temporary sign permit can be issued once every three months and is good for 30 days, with a maximum of 4 sign permits per year per business location. Temporary Signs cannot be larger than 24 square feet.
- Permanent Signs
- Sign Ordinance See also new changes to Sign Ordinance (.pdf file)
Cross Connection permits are required for all boilers, irrigation systems, and new commercial buildings. A permit is also needed for the required annual inspection. Backflow devices are installed and tested by a Third Party contractor.
LP Gas (Liquid Petroleum)