Salem Parks & Recreation, organizers of the LewisGale Salem Half Marathon, continues to monitor the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19). We are committed to bringing you a safe, in-person event. Currently, the LewisGale Salem Half Marathon, Virginia’s Blue Ridge 8k, and G&H Kids Fun Run are on schedule for Saturday, October 10. We are looking at potential modifications and new ways to safely host the event. Some changes may include change in start times to adhere to Virginia’s Department of Health and the CDC’s policies. However, if you do not feel comfortable racing in person, we will be offering a virtual race as well. The in-person race and virtual race will both count towards the Triple Crown. We can assure you that we are working extremely hard to make sure you have a race to run in 2020!
2020 Changes for In-Person Race:
- Race day will not look how it has in the past. We are currently working through multiple scenarios to ensure we are hosting a safe race experience for everyone and depending on how guidelines and safety concerns evolve, things may change as we get closer to the event.
- Walk-up registrations will ONLY be allowed during packet pickup. No same day registration.
- Drive-Thru Packet Pickup will be available at Moyer Sports Complex from 3 p.m. -7 a.m. on Friday, October 9 Location: 1000 Union St, Salem, VA 24153. We will have packet pickup available on race morning, but we highly encourage you to pick up your packets on Friday.
- Start times will be staggered by corrals with the Half Marathon starting at 7:30 a.m., 8k at 8 a.m., and the Kids Run 2 & 1 mile at 8:15 a.m. Corrals will start at 1-minute intervals.
- Runners vying for an overall placement (1-3 overall and masters, male and female) should email the race director for a reserved spot in the first corral. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for corral 1 placement is October 7. Walk-up registrations will not be allowed in corral 1.
- Before the race, you will receive an email with directions to select a corral time for your race. Please keep an eye out for this feature on RunSignup.
- We encourage runners to arrive no more than 15 minutes before your start time, for everyone’s safety.
- There will be no group warmup stretching. We will have a pre-recorded stretching routine available for you to watch and participate in online at your car.
- Water stations will be handled by volunteers wearing gloves and mask. Cups will be placed on tables for runners to grab.
- While we love to put your medal around your neck when you finish, we will not be able to this year. Medals will be handed to you after you finish.
- Live results will be available online to avoid groups congregating around monitors in the Farmers Market.
- Food and Drinks will be pre-packaged at the end of the race.
- There will be no on-site awards ceremony. We are working out details on how you can receive your award.
- If you decide to defer your race to next year, there will be a charge of $10.00 in your Runsignup account.
Virtual Race Details
- If you do not feel comfortable racing in-person we will be offering a virtual option as well for the LewisGale Salem Half Marathon, Virginia Blue Ridge 8k and G&H Contracting Kids 1- & 2-mile Fun Runs.
- You will have from Sunday, October 4 until Sunday, October 11 to complete the virtual race on your own and upload your results to RunSignup.
- The LewisGale Salem Half Marathon will be available virtually for $55, the Virginia’s Blue Ridge 8k for $40, and the G&H Contracting Kids 1&2-mile Fun Runs for $20.
- You will have the option to pick up your shirt and medal locally or have them shipped for additional $5.
We will continue to share more information as updates become available.
Thank you for your patience.