- History of Salem PD
History of Salem PD
The Salem Police Department possesses a rich and honorable heritage. With an authorized strength of 100 full-time and part-time employees, the Department's primary mission is to protect the life, individual liberty, and property of all people within the City of Salem, Virginia. The roots of the Department go back to 1802 when the village of Salem was initially carved from Botetourt County. Records show that the Town of Salem was policed by a town Sergeant from the mid-1830s until 1922 when a more formalized police force was instituted.
With the passage of over seventy-five years of professional service, three officers have provided the ultimate sacrifice. They stand today as symbols of courage and honor to the men and women who currently serve the City in the most honorable profession: policing.
W.A. Vest, Chief of Police 1922 to 1934
W. A. Vest was appointed Town Sergeant in 1910 and served until 1922 at which time he was elected to the newly formed position of Chief of Police. The Department at that time consisted of the chief and three officers. The Chief's position was temporarily discontinued in 1934 and reinstated in 1937.
Ronald Frier, Chief of Police 1937 to 1947
On July 1, 1937 Ronald Frier was appointed Chief of Police. Chief Frier served until July 1, 1947. As of this date, George T. Eades was appointed Chief of Police and faithfully served the town (later the young city as of 01/01/68) in this capacity for 28 years, 3 months.
George T. Eades, Chief of Police 1947 to 1975
During the tenure of Chief Eades, the Department expanded considerably to meet the needs of the growing community. The Police Headquarters building was relocated from 19 North College Avenue to present quarters at 36 East Calhoun Street in 1964. He also redesigned the Department's shoulder patch insignia, replacing the pentagonal patch with the predecessor of the current insignia.
Harry T. Haskins, Chief of Police 1975 to 1995
On November 1, 1975, Harry T. Haskins, Jr. was appointed Chief of Police. The Department benefited from gains in manpower, modern equipment, new styled uniforms and police vehicles. During his twenty years of service, the Department was reconstructed for optimum efficiency to include the acquisition of modern computer systems and data storage equipment as well as gains in tools of criminal investigation such as the Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) and imaging. A SWAT Team was organized and the D.A.R.E. Program was initiated in City Schools. In 1991, Salem Camp D.A.R.E. was founded for the youth of the City.
James R. Bryant, Chief of Police 1995 to 2009
James R. Bryant, who started his career as a Salem Patrolman in 1966, was appointed Chief Of Police on November 1, 1995. Having served under two previous Chiefs of Police, Chief Bryant is well-prepared to lead the Department into the twenty-first century. As the first director of Salem Camp D.A.R.E., a nationally acclaimed project, Chief Bryant is committed to the development of community relations. He advocates specialized training for personnel and strives to enhance the equipment and facilities of the Department.
Jeff A. Dudley, Chief of Police 2009 to 2014
Chief Dudley began his employment with the Salem Police Department when he was just 19 years old in May of 1977. He began as a dispatcher and a year later in April of 1978 he was sworn in as a police officer and assigned to the patrol division. In July 1983, he was assigned to the detective division where he spent 6 years as a general investigator and crime scene technician.
He was promoted to Sergeant in April 1989 and assigned to the services division where he served on the planning committee that developed Salem Camp D.A.R.E. He would later serve as both assistant director and director of the camp.
Chief Dudley transferred to the patrol division as a Sergeant in 1991 where he was a first-line supervisor until his promotion to Lieutenant in January 1994. He remained in this position until November 1, 1995, when he was appointed as the Deputy Chief of Police, a post he maintained until being named the City's Chief of Police.
During his tenure, he oversaw the construction of office space that would be leased to the federal Courts as an office for the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals which was located in the Police building. The department saw many changes during this challenging time when the economy had taken a downturn and funds were limited for the department. A few of his accomplishments were the installation of a new modern Records Management / Computer Aided Dispatch system that included a mobile data system with an electronic summons system, new duty weapons, alternate uniforms for night shift and special events, the re-marking of the police vehicles, completing two successful re-accreditation assessments in 2010 and 2014, and the placing of markers for William Howard Thompson and Russell McCurry, two officers who lost their lives serving the citizens of Salem. He is also proud of the regional cooperation that has been attained with the valley law enforcement agencies during his tenure particularly the Regional Drug Investigative Unit.
Timothy N. Guthrie, Chief of Police 2014 to 2016
Tim Guthrie began his employment in October of 1981 as a police officer in the patrol division. By 1985, he transferred to the services division where he served as a traffic officer and the department's Accident Crash Reconstructionist. In 1989, he was transferred to the detective division where he served as a narcotics and general investigator.
Promoted to Sergeant in July 1995, Guthrie remained in the detective division where he oversaw the day-to-day activities of the department's criminal investigations and records section.
Chief Guthrie transferred to the Services division in 2001 and remained there after being promoted to Lieutenant in 2004. He remained in this position until November 1, 2009 when he was appointed as the Deputy Chief of Police, holding the rank of Captain. Due to a departmental reorganization, he was appointed to the rank of Major on February 1, 2014, a post he maintained until being named the City's Chief of Police on December 7, 2014.
A graduate of the 220th session of the FBI National Academy in Quantico Virginia and the 23rd session of the Administrative Officer Management Program in Raleigh North Carolina, Guthrie attended numerous police training schools and seminars in police management and protocol.
A Roanoke City native, Tim graduated from William Fleming High School and completed the requirements for his AAS degree at Virginia Western Community College. In 1998, he earned his Bachelor of Science degree from Bluefield College, and his Master's degree in Liberal Studies from Hollins University in 2013.