Salem has a five member City Council. Members are elected at-large and serve a four year term. City Council elects the Mayor and Vice-Mayor from their members for a two year term.
The City Council appoints a professional City Manager and Assistant City Manager to oversee the daily operations of the city.
The city has 5 Elected Officers.
- Mayor Byron R. "Randy" Foley (Term expires June 30, 2018)
- Vice-Mayor Bill Jones (Term expires June 30, 2020)
- Jane W. Johnson (Term expires June 30, 2020)
- James Martin (Term expires June 30, 2020)
- Jim Chisom (Term expires June 30, 2018)
City Manager, Kevin S. Boggess
Assistant City Manager, James E. Taliaferro, II