The Solid Waste Disposal Department is responsible for recycling and waste disposal for the City of Salem.
Types of waste accepted
- Construction Debris
- Appliances free of compressed gas
Types of waste not accepted
- Free liquids (paint, petroleum products, cleaning solvents, water, etc.)
Paint absorbed in material such as Sta-Dri or sawdust is accepted.
- Regulated Hazardous Waste
- Solid waste residues or soils containing more than 1.0 p.p.h of dioxin, residues or soils containing 50.0 p.p.b. or more of PCPs.
- Pesticide containers that have not been triple rinsed and crushed
- Drums that are not empty, properly cleaned and opened
- Regulated medical waste or residue from the processing or treatment of regulated medical waste
- Asbestos containing material
- Materials prohibited from sanitary landfill disposal unless the material can safely be introduced into the city's recycling program
Anyone delivering unauthorized waste to the city's Solid Waste Management Facility will be responsible for its removal and proper disposal.